Done correctly, social media is a powerful tool that helps businesses promote their brands and develop deeper personal connections with their audience. Done correctly!
Used the wrong way, however, it can ruin your company’s reputation. There’s no shortage of stories about how some big brands gaffed on social media and lost a chunk of their customers as a result.
That’s why it’s important to know your way around social media marketing.
People are Getting More Social
In today’s digital age, chances are your target audience is signed up on one or more social media platforms. Let’s look at the stats:
- According to Hootsuite, 83% of Americans own at least one social media account.
- 3.5 billion people around the world were using social media as of 2019.
- People spend approximately three hours a day on social media.
- Almost 50% of Americans have interacted with a brand through their social media page.
- Over 70% of consumers who had a positive engagement with a brand on social media say they will recommend the brand to their family and friends.
- Millennials are the most active social media users, followed by Gen X’ers, and then Baby boomers.
- Over 50% of social browsers use social media when searching for a product or service.
Social media marketing is here to stay, so if you’re looking to leverage it for your business, you might as well learn how to do it the right way. Here is our top do’s and don’ts for social media marketing:
Social Media Do’s
- Pick the right platform — Different platforms serve different needs so you need to be able to select the ones that best align with your goals. For example, Linkedin is more suited for B2B campaigns since it allows you to connect with other business owners and professionals. On the other hand, Instagram is more ideal for B2C marketing since it allows you to connect directly with potential end-users of a product or service.
- Focus on sharing value — The average user doesn’t browse social media with the primary aim of looking for something to buy. They can easily go to a physical shop or visit an online store for that. If you want to be able to connect with social media users and have them buy what you’re selling, then you first need to provide value. This is what builds trust. Only when people trust your brand will they buy from you.
- Keep your social media posts interesting — Don’t stick to one type of media. People want to be engaged on social media. Your post should be interesting enough to stop their scrolling and actually pay attention to your message. Platforms like Facebook and Instagram are highly visual, so be sure to include a mix of clean, eye-catching graphics and even videos in your posts.
- Utilize analytics data — Most social media platforms allow you to track the performance of your posts and ad campaigns. Use this data to make informed decisions about your social media marketing strategy. This way, you’re not just spending money without any useful returns.
Social Media Don’ts
- Don’t go overboard with your posting — It can be tempting to post often, but there’s a point where it just becomes too much. Posting too much and too often can diminish the relevance of your brand and can quickly result in people unfollowing your page. Remember, when it comes to social media marketing, it’s always quality over quantity.
- Don’t ignore comments or complaints — Social media is all about connecting on a more personal level with your audience. If people are commenting on posts, asking questions, or even complaining about your business, the last thing you want to do is turn a blind eye. That would defeat the purpose of wanting to engage with your customers in the first place. Take time to respond to queries and let people know that you actually value their opinion.
- Don’t center your posts around controversial topics — The appeal is undeniable — controversial topics get people talking a lot on social media, so why not capitalize on that to boost engagement for your posts. The problem here is that this is a slippery slope. Where do you draw the line between something engaging and something just plain offensive? It’s simply too risky and could cause you to lose some followers or even get your account banned.
- Don’t forget to post at the right times — That’s right. You can’t just post whenever and expect to maximize the results of your social media marketing efforts. Check your account’s insights and find the optimal time your audience is most active. What days, what times? This will give you an idea of when to post to maximize views, engagements, impressions, and other key metrics.
Need Professional Social Media Marketing in Orlando?
Social media marketing seems so easy, but there’s a lot that goes into running a successful campaign. If you need professional help, turn to Tulumi Digital Marketing today. We can utilize social media to give your brand a competitive edge, increase online engagements, and boost conversion rates. Give us a call today at (800) 481-1720 or fill out our contact form to get started with a FREE consultation.